REGISTRATION OPENS TUE 3/22 @ 1PM EASTERN
CLICK HERE >>> https://motm.rocks/
ST-MSP FB EVENT - COMING SOON
Gulf Shores, AL - the PHIP Board members have boarded their Sunday flights home from the little town with a big beach after three days of meetings. Here’s what you need to know about Meeting of the Minds.
1. Although not the leading vote getter, it became clear with recent developments that “Where the Smiles Have Been” was the most appropriate choice for theme for the 30th MOTM. Most votes cast for “Second Wind Kicking In” were cast prior to the news of the coming changes, and the “Second Wind” theme will be perfect for one of the next two years.
2. The opening of registration has been set for March 17. The previously set tentative date was not feasible after a freeze on MOTM business in connection with the upcoming host hotel remodel, which Hilton was ultimately persuaded to delay until after MOTM22.
3. This year’s event will be expanded to include nearly a full day of music Wednesday, November 2, open only to MOTM registrants. That means registration begins Wednesday 11/2 at 9 am. It also means that Wednesday is a “buyout day” for the Casa Marina - a day in which non-registrants are not allowed to reserve a room and a day for which we are contractually obligated to full occupancy. This means that priority will be given to registrants reserving a minimum four-night stay including Wednesday through Saturday. Based on their projections and analysis of historical data and current trends, PHIP’s crack staff of MIT-endorsed forecasting analysts are estimating that the Casa Marina Resort is going to sell out “pretty damn quick.” Room rates at the Casa, Registration prices and details, VIP options, and MOTM headliners will be announced in the coming weeks prior to registration opening.
4. The PHIP Board has appointed a new “Chair Apparent” - an apprentice chair-in-training to complete the MOTM22 team that also includes Rob Hill, Senior Chair, Jed Johnson, Junior Chair, and Bill Connolly, Consulting Past Chair. The appointed apprentice will be on track to be MOTM Junior Chair in 2023 and Senior Chair in 2024. The selection will be announced and introduced with appropriate fanfare and celebratory balloons and confetti in a separate announcement.
5. In light of Hilton’s announcement that Casa Marina will be unavailable to host MOTM 2023 and with no commitment for 2024, The PHIP Board has initiated an MOTM site selection committee to be assigned the task of investigating the feasibility of MOTM remaining in key west for 2023 and beyond as well as alternative host venues and cities in the event that it cannot. The Committee will include the current trio of MOTM Chairs, PHIP President Bill Brehm, and additional members to be selected by these committee members. Although the Board has determined that its priority is to keep the event in Key West if possible, the exploration of alternative sites must happen concurrently in order to ensure that there is sufficient time to plan MOTM 2023 at an attentive location in the event that a Key West event next year is impractical.
6. To inform the committee about the sentiments, needs and preferences of the membership, there will be a survey posted in the coming days which will appear on the nw MOTM website and will be linked in emails to club leaders and past MOTM attendees as well as various social media channels. This survey is not a “vote,” but rather a way of identifying the elements of MOTM that are most important to members and their reasons for coming or NOT coming in the past. To reiterate, although the committee will be exploring alternatives to Key West, the Board has made the preliminary decision that its preference and priority to keep MOTM based in Key West if that is practical.
The MOTM team and PHIP Board are grateful for your patience and understanding. Stay tuned in the days to come for announcements of a blockbuster 30th Meeting of the Minds.
We are about to break the partial silence on MOTM 22, and we are giving you this heads up: There was a reason for the silence. As we were going full steam ahead in December, we learned just before Christmas that Hilton was likely going to do a renovation of the Casa Marina Resort that would make MOTM22 impossible at that location. Final decisions had not been made and were not expected to be made until well into the spring. At the risk of stating the obvious, this froze all planning for the event, except to the extent we were researching alternative sites. With all the uncertainty about venue, we could not project revenue and thus were in no position to even extend an offer to an artist or solicit a sponsor.
Last week, we received a commitment from the Casa to delay the start of major renovation until after MOTM22, and so we are forging ahead and expediting our efforts to stay on or close to schedule for our planned opening of registration on 2-22-22. We hope to be making some exciting announcements soon.
Great news, right? Yes, but... By Hilton’s agreeing to accommodate MOTM22 by delaying the construction, there is zero chance that MOTM23 can be held at Casa Marina. In addition, while our relationship and partnership with the Casa has been and continues to be extraordinary and mutually beneficial, there can be no reasonable expectation on our part that, even if Hilton wants to resume hosting MOTM in 2024, that the block room rates our members count on will be available at the Casa (or anywhere in Key West), especially after a major renovation and modernization of the property. Given that Key West has for years been an expensive place to stay, eat and drink, the evolving economics of tourism there, in which ordinary hotel rooms can approach or exceed $1000 per night, combined with the major upgrade to the hotel, make the future of MOTM at the Casa and in Key West, uncertain at best.
Faced with the uncertainties of the last month, we have discussed and explored alternate plans for MOTM in the future, and now that we are free to discuss this with our members, we look forward to input and feedback from the rank and file as to what the future of MOTM should look like. If you’re on Facebook, be sure and join the MOTM group to participate in the discussion. At this point, we expect that MOTM23 might be a transitional year in which we do what might prove to be a one-time special event while we evaluate other potential permanent homes for the annual convention from 2024 forward. We have not closed the door on Key West or the Casa Marina, but we are approaching this event with the practical reality that it may be the final MOTM in Key West. If you or your members have MOTM Key West on your bucket list, this may be the last chance to cross it off. If MOTM has been a regular and important part of your lives, this will be a can’t-miss.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding as we navigate our way through these challenges and unexpected opportunities. Although we will continue the discussion about the future, one thing is for sure. The 30th MOTM at the Casa Marina Resort in Key West is going to be like no other - Get ready! Phins Up!
Rob Hill, Jed Johnson - MOTM 2022 Co-Chairs